With just two days to go for Maestro’s Birthday i would like to revive some of his rare classics with visuals.Lets start with an amazing solo number sung by Janaki from the movie Un Kaneel Neer Vazhinthaal.Though the movie was a disaster,it had an interesting combo for the first (and ofcourse last time too) Rajini + Balumahendra.Probably many might have seen this movie in Raj Tv.The song is a typical Balu’s duet shot in his favt ooty locations with the mesmerizing janaki’s voice @ the backdrop.How come ooty looks so refreshing only under the lens of Balu ?
Monthly Archives: May 2009
Though i have seen Thalapathy n number of times i failed to realise its amazing Technical Brilliance hidden under its shell.All these years jus i have enjoyed the movie as an entertainer without much stressing on technical details.But i was totally blown away when i watched it in a DVD few months back.In technical aspects i wud say Thalapathy is Mani’s Masterstroke.Agreed all his movies has technical brilliance,but Thalapathy is something special, Thanks to Santhosh Sivan’s breathtaking Fotography,Maestro’s scintillating BGM+Songs and above all Mani’s execution of Scenes & Characterisations makes one of the best in the industry.Since Thalapathy has its adaptation from the epic Mahabharatha,both the scenes and characters has shades of Mahabharatha.To Start off with
Titles : Mani movies never had Titles in Maroon color(usually come in White fonts in Black Background) but in Thalapathy Titles come in Maroon color or Brick red color since Rajini’s character is ditto Karna in Mahabharatha who is a Son of Sun,which is maroon or brick red color.Needless to say Rajni’s name in Thalapathy is Surya.This is the reason, Rajni’s Costume wud be Maroon Colored Shirt in most of the scenes.
- In many Scenes u can see the Sun Rays joining with Rajni.
- When Srividya and Rajni unites u can see the Sun Rising.
- Also the whole movie wud have a Maroonish color tone (as like Sethu’s Paandi Madam Green tone in the second half) since the story demands it.
Characterisation: See how beautifully Mani portrays the Shobana’s Characterisation.Please do watch the portion before the song starts.
Here Shobana cries but when Rajini asks the reason for crying, she has no answer to say.Mani has made this jus to show Shobana is too soft in nature so that she can’t even bear a shouting @ her.
- The Backdrop location wud be a Kovil – Theppakulam when both Rajini – Shobana were in Love.But the backdrop wud be a ruined fort with no trees or shrubs, the scene where Shobana comes to Rajini to say that she gonna get married with Arvindswamy.
- Also during the break-up scene of Shobana – Rajini u can see the sun trying to set.
Songs: Now we shall look into Mani’s Magic in the songs.Picturising songs is an art which not comes to all directors, even the biggies Bharathiraja,Balachandar limps when coming to Song Picturisation.(Who can forget the hilarious White angels,Clapping of hands,Sunflowers of Bharathiraja) But for Mani Jus a room is enuf, he will do things in a brilliant manner.(Eg.Ninnukori Varnam).Since Rajini’s Characterisation is similiar to a warrior who goes for frequent fights, Mani had picturised the song in such a way.What’s more beauty in this song is many wud have heard in olden days, War won’t happen after 6 jus to nurse the injured soldiers. The same here too once shobana lit the lamps, Mani won’t show the war instead rajini wud be there with horses resting aside him.
Ilaiyaraaja aka BGM: Can’t even imagine anyother music director for this classic,Thank God!!! Mani – Raja parted their ways away after this movie else Thalapathy wud have been turned into a damp squib.Lets See Raja’s Magic.
- Whenever Srividya thinks of Rajini, BGM wud be Train’s Siren.Amazing isnt’it?
- In Sundari kannal oru Sethi When Rajni goes for war u can hear the Police March Fast BGM.
Some amazing BGM portions in Thalapathy.
- Rajini – Shobana Break up scene.
- Rajini – Mammootty first Meeting & Uniting scene.
- When Rajini stands in a small hill i.e exactly before Amrish puri enters into the scene.
- See Maestro’s Magic,u can hear the Temple – Bell Ringing sound in the BGM when Shobana lies her head in Rajini’s lap & When Mammootty hugs Rajini in the staircases of Rajini’s House.(This is jus to show,as people say good things gonna happen when anyone heard the Temple-bell ringing sound.)